Pascal's TechBlog

Friday, April 14, 2006

Dapper Drake

It has been a couple of days now since I've installed Dapper Drake on my main desktop, the experience has been overwhelmingly positive.

One of the big improvements is the progress bar which is displayed while unmounting volumes, this prevents impatient users from prematurely disconnecting the removable drive.

Another improvement is the interdesktop application bar blinking*. Basically if an X-Chat or GAIM conversation receives a reply while your away working on another desktop, its application bar will appear on the desktop you're working on, and it'll blink to grab your attention. Now the sweet part happens when you click on the blinking application bar, you're immediately taken to the desktop where X-Chat or GAIM resides.

However there is a downside to Dapper, the first and foremost being the new and improved Human theme. Well it's new alright, but I'm not sure I would call it an improvement. The Orange makes me think about soccer and the new icons are way too busy and shiny. I basically couldn't tolerate it for more than a day or so, I quickly changed to Clearlooks controls with a Human window border and GNOME icons.

* I didn't know what else to call it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home