Pascal's TechBlog

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I'm not a GNU!

During the past week I've been accused of being a follower of Richard Stallman's ideologies. Why? Just because I'm a GTK user/lover. And ofcourse anybody who uses GNU software must be against commercial software, right?

Wrong!
Unlike Richard Stallman I do not think COTS software to be either evil or unethical. Does that mean I generally like COTS software? No!

Examples
Microsoft Internet Explorer: I do think MSIE is evil, but not because it's commercial or closed source. It is because of MSIE that the W3C standards still aren't used today.
Microsoft Office: I do think Office is evil, but again not because it's commercial or closed source. MS refuses to support OpenDoc in Office, which is detrimental to interoperability between competing Office suites. Taking into account the fact that Office is the number one Office suite worldwide, this is an obvious abuse of Microsoft's monopoly.
Opera is de excellent example, of good COTS software, which is everything but evil. The folks at Opera Software seem to make a genuine effort to build the best browser on the planet, there is nothing wrong with trying to make a living of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home