Pascal's TechBlog

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Dapper's glibc

The current Ubuntu stable release (Breezy Badger) was released with gcc 4.0, one of the things that nagged me was the fact that Breezy's kernel wasn't compiled with 4.0 but with an older version of gcc, namely 3.4.

The first thing I did after installing Dapper Drake was to check whether the kernel was compiled with gcc 4.0, it was, so I was happy as a clam. But yesterday I was in for quite a shock, it seems that Dapper's glibc isn't compiled with 4.0, but with gcc 3.4.

I can think of only two reasons why not to compile glibc with gcc 4.0, either glibc just doesn't compile properly with gcc 4.0, or they used the old gcc 3.4 to prevent unknown regressions. In either case gcc 4.0 should not be the default system compiler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home